Saturday, 25 July 2026

Yay! It’s the holidays… (with a family of neurodivergents)


My middle child, Sam (ADHD and autism) summed it up best when he disparagingly described a holiday as, ‘…still being with your family, but without any of your stuff’!

The plus side of the long school holidays, when you have neurodivergent (or any) kids, is not having to navigate drop-offs and pick-ups, checking and rechecking school bags, battling over homework or facing the daily crushing comparison (I know I shouldn’t) with all the other happy, well-adjusted, confident, sociable little darlings in the school playground.

The pay-off for all of that, is endless empty days that need to be filled with enforced fun.

Image AI generated
 

Picture the scene…

We’re away for a few days in Llandudno and enthusiasm is waning.

I suggest a game of Kubb on the promenade. Just getting them to agree is quite the undertaking (Sam: ‘people will look at us’, Oliver: ‘effort’) but, ignoring their protests, I set up and the game gets underway.

I’d read and inwardly digested the rules ahead of time – knowing the impossible amounts of patience and processing it would require for us to decipher the rules together. So I begin by explaining that Sam and Oliver start with all six batons.

Ethan (autism and ADHD) picks up three of the batons and walks over to his side of the game.

I take the batons off Ethan and repeat that the boys start with all six batons.

Sam and Oliver take their turn. Oliver throws his baton with (way too much) gusto. It flies down the promenade. Ethan shouts.

To give Sam his due for his reason for not wanting to play the game, he’s right – people are looking at us.

On Sam and Oliver’s next turn, to soften the blow for Ethan, I pick up the batons as Oliver throws – knowing Oliver won’t be able to help hurling them (he has no fine motor skills), and Ethan won’t be able to help overreacting (he has no fine tolerance skills).

A few yards away, a woman has begun to film our happy family game on her phone.

 

Knock yourself out

Just as I bend down to pick up the most recent baton Oliver has lobbed, he throws another. It whacks me, full force, straight in the jaw.

Ethan shouts (louder this time). People have moved beyond ‘looking’ to staring. The woman stops filming.

Oliver repeats and repeats and repeats and repeats his thought process as to why he chucked the baton even though he knew my head was there. If any of us try to interject or even move during any of these four retellings, he has to start again, from the beginning. I don’t know whether the need to repeatedly repeat, with no interruptions and all of our undivided attention, is part of Oliver’s OCD, autism, ADHD or all three but, part way through the third retelling as my jaw throbs, my patience snaps.

“For god’s sake Oliver, shut up and just say sorry,” I yell. “From now on you’re taking a bloody ADHD tablet every day and I don’t care about the side effects.” I instantly feel evil.

More stares. Some smirks.

We play on. We’re on ‘holiday’. The boys have been forcibly removed from their screens and I’m determined we will make memories (and, to be fair, we did).

The boys are winning. Ethan is getting irritated. Not being able to cope with losing is a trait often linked with autism and, just because you’re 52 doesn’t mean you grow out of it.

 

Whose rule is it anyway?

He starts arguing with me about the rules: stating it’s impossible for us to win (it isn’t). I try to calmly explain why it isn’t impossible. Ethan isn’t hearing what I’m saying because he has his own thought process which cannot flex to what I am saying. I know this. But I’m human: I’ve read the rules, he hasn’t and, while he’s arguing and stating, as fact, observations that are incorrect, the boys are fast losing interest and the dog (who has been tied to a bench a couple of metres away) is starting to howl – so I’m frustrated. I shout (I’m now shouting almost as much as Ethan). And use the F word.

At which point, Sam (bless him) with all the patience and wisdom of a world-weary 15 year old (and also possibly because people are staring again), steps in and calmly explains to Ethan how he and I could still, theoretically, knock all our blocks down and win (which we all know isn’t going to happen).

But Ethan’s mind set will not shift (or, at least, he won’t admit to being wrong, which is quite another thing). I tell him to move on and stop spoiling it for everyone (who am I kidding – this game is spoilt beyond redemption). The dog continues with his incessant howling and we all play on. We are now all playing Kubb with a huge ‘Kubb on’ (sorry) and collectively just want the ordeal to end.

Thankfully, a couple more rounds and the boys have won.

The stress of the game has almost been worth it for the relief of it being over. Until Sam discovers that he’s lost his ear pods somewhere along the promenade, and the next drama begins…

No comments:

Post a Comment